Make a Difference!
A volunteer is a person who gives of themselves. Organizations know volunteers are what help make good programs great, and SELCRA has some of the best volunteers around! Volunteering gives you a chance to change lives, including your own. SELCRA has volunteer opportunities for a variety of programs. Check the list to see what might be a good fit for you.
Coaching - SELCRA can help get you back in the game. Whether you wish to coach your own children or are willing to share your knowledge with others, we can find the right team for you. Basketball, Baseball, Bowling, Tennis, Softball, Flag Football, Soccer, etc.
- Special Events - SELCRA uses hundreds of volunteers at our special events, from checking coats at the Daddy Daughter Dance, to painting faces at the Eggstravaganza. Call Ken Grybel today and let him know what you can do! He will match your skill to one of our events to help us 'Create Community through People, Parks and Programs!'
- Meijer Skatepark - If you have a green thumb, then this is the place for you. Every spring and fall the park needs regular maintenance, planting perennials, spreading mulch and especially raking leaves.
Make a Difference. Volunteer today! Call us at 810-299-4140.
Role of SELCRA Volunteers and Yearly Usage
SELCRA uses volunteers in a variety of different ways. Our volunteers come from the entire community including the schools, businesses and residences. They do everything from repairs, to soliciting donations, to photographing our events. SELCRA appreciates its volunteers and has implemented a variety of ways to show our appreciation such as gift certificates for ‘Coach of the Month’ and publishing a thank you to all of them in the local newspaper.
YOUTH SPORTS - Volunteers play an important role in the development of our participants and our programs. SELCRA uses over 300 youth coaches for the following league sports: Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball, and Flag Football. In addition SELCRA draws on the experience of professional coaches and referees for various clinics and programs.
· Youth Coaches – Volunteer between 16 & 20 hours per season and guide our participants in the correct skill sets to play the game.
· Coaching Professionals – Volunteer approximately 60 hours per year to guide our volunteer youth coaches in the Best Practices of coaching the sport. In addition this group conducts clinics and scrimmages for the youth players which improve skills and provides additional playing time.
· Referee Professionals – Volunteer approximately 25 hours per year to train our new umpires and referees. In addition they become mentors during the season to answer questions and provide guidance as the season progresses.
SELCRA recently hosted a fall soccer volunteer coaches training clinic with over 50 volunteers! Here they learned drills for practices and different coaching techniques from Sara Kloosterman. Sara has a Master’s in Sport Management from Northern Illinois University, and has been involved in soccer her entire life. She has coached soccer on the recreational, travel, and collegiate level all around the U.S. The volunteers were a little hesitant at first but afterwards they were buzzing with excitement about the drills, practices, and games that lay ahead! There have been some changes around SELCRA in order to make each season bigger and better and we can not continue to give quality programs without the help of our volunteers! Below are some photos from the training session!
Parent volunteers learning new drills from Sara Kloosterman.
SPECIAL EVENTS – Volunteers are an invaluable asset to SELCRA as we plan and implement special events for the entire community. Each volunteer hour saves in staffing costs, and invariably they bring unique ideas to our events. Our return volunteers become voices for the success and enjoyment of our community events. SELCRA utilizes volunteers from Middle School thru the senior sector. The following activities are listed to showcase some of the events that these volunteers contribute to:
· Daddy/Daughter Dance – This event has approximately 1400 participants and SELCRA utilizes about 60 Brighton High School volunteers in 4 hour shifts. They blow up balloons, paint decorations, hang the lights, check in the dads and daughters, serve refreshments, check the coats, pass out goodie bags, and then clean up. WE could not run this event without their help.
· Hershey Track & Field – This local event has about 300 entrants participating in 9 different track & field events. Volunteers from middle school and high school help set up, measure distances, use stop watches to record times and clean up. Adult volunteers are used in the concession area as well as First Aid, recording times and check in.
ALL games/practices are on as scheduled. Please check with your coach regarding individual team cancellations. Game cancellations, due to the weather, will be made at the discretion of the umpire at the field.